Read How to Raise a Healthy Child: In Spite of Your Doctor by Robert S. Mendelsohn Free Online
Book Title: How to Raise a Healthy Child: In Spite of Your Doctor|
The author of the book: Robert S. Mendelsohn
Edition: NTC/Contemporary Publishing Company
Date of issue: April 1st 1986
Format files: PDF
The size of the: 952 KB
City - Country: No data
Loaded: 2730 times
Reader ratings: 4.3
ISBN 13: 9780809249954
Read full description of the books:
This book is a good reference manual for parents who want to take a proactive approach to their children's health. The author, a pediatrician, discusses everything from accidents to ear infections to antibiotics.
A few words of caution, before I praise what is good:
1. This book is old. It is, therefore, rather outdated on some subjects, including vaccinations (which he calls 'immunizations'). The DTP is no longer used in the US, we have new vaccines (Hib, Prevnar, varicella...), etc. However, this chapter is useful in that he describes some of the different diseases and how to treat them IF your child becomes ill (a possibility even for fully vaccinated children, since most vaccines do not provide total immunization).
2. I do not fully embrace his premise, although I don't totally disagree with it, either. He approaches the medical profession from a severely jaded point of view, stating that many physicians are driven sheerly by profit. Although I am quite sure that is true, I also thinks he doesn't give physicians enough credit. Also, it seems to me that the medical profession has gotten 'better' in the past 20 years (the pharmaceutical companies seem to have gotten worse, but that's neither here nor there!).
3. Don't agree w/ his rather bizarre chapter on mental illness/behaviors....I agree w/ some things, but not with most of it.
Now, for what is good! Many things, and here are a few highlights:
1. He evidences a commonsense approach that is lacking for so many people today. he makes no bones about the things that promote health in children: good nutrition, breastfeeding, cleanliness, etc.
2. His ideas were progressive and many of them have been proven correct: he was waving a warning flag on overuse of antibiotics; now we know that is a true problem. Don't start solid foods too early (the new recommendation is no solids for 6 months...he was saying that 20 years ago...).
3. He gives parents confidence to treat their children's 'routine' illnesses and tells you when to call the dr and when not to do so...although I think the fever chapter is a little too 'out there' for me (I think I'd call the dr sooner), even that chapter has good, reassuring, informative advice that will help parents steer their children in a healthy direction.
Download How to Raise a Healthy Child: In Spite of Your Doctor ERUB
Download How to Raise a Healthy Child: In Spite of Your Doctor DOC
Download How to Raise a Healthy Child: In Spite of Your Doctor TXT
Read information about the author
Reviews of the How to Raise a Healthy Child: In Spite of Your Doctor
Add a comment
Download EBOOK How to Raise a Healthy Child: In Spite of Your Doctor by Robert S. Mendelsohn Online free